This little detail bothered me for long time on both my home computer running Windows 7 and my work computer with Windows 8.1 – I wasn’t able to neither send and receive files over bluetooth. There was Bluetooth icon in system tray, but its menu was missing these options. What’s worse, bluetooth was missing even in the Send To menu in files‘ context menu.
Rather uncomfortable workaround is that you can run fsquirt.exe application but starting it over and over again become annoying quickly.
How to add command to Send To menu:
- Open directory %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
- Right click – New – Shortcut: fsquirt.exe and name it e.g. Send via bluetooth.
Today, I became sick of running fsquirt even for receiving files so I googled for a while and managed to find solution from MS itself on the MSDN.
How to revert Send file and Receive file options to Bluetooth tray menu:
- Launch regedit.exe and go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet
- Delete DisableFsquirt value.
- Run fsquirt.exe -Register command or restart your computer.
Done, both Send and Receive options are back in the menu!
This directions work on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.
I hope this helps someone. Most forums I found tried solving it using driver reinstallation. It did solve it for some, but didn’t for others (me included).